It is believed that Vitamin B12 is used to treat high levels of homocysteine in the blood. It is not completely understood how this elevation contributes to various diseases including heart diseases and issues with blood vessels. However, some studies suggest that a high level of blood homocysteine is certainly a risk factor for cerebral, coronary and peripheral blood vessel disease. Other risks include heart attacks, blood clots, and a few types of stroke.
As the evidence to treat high levels of homocysteine remains conflicting, the present recommendation is that men and women over age 40 and 50 respectively undergo screening. If elevated levels of homocysteine are found, experts recommend supplements that contain folic acid and Vitamin B12. However, it is ideal to consult with a health care professional prior to treating these conditions with Vitamin B12. Good news is Mega Vitamin B12 with highly absorbable Methylcobalamin is recommended by more practitoners than other B12 products..
What are the major health benefits of Vitamin B12?
- Vitamin B12 converts carbohydrates into glucose, thereby resulting in energy producing and a considerable decrease in lethargy and fatigue in the body.
- It helps regulate the nervous system and reduces stress, depression and shrinkage of brain.
- The vitamin helps in maintaining a healthy digestive system. Moreover, it safeguards the body against heart disease by curbing unhealthy cholesterol levels, high blood pressure and protecting against stroke.
- It is necessary for healthy skin, hair and nails. The vitamin helps in cell reproduction as well as constantly renews the skin.
- It helps protect against cancers such as colon, breast, lung and prostate cancer.